Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fermentation chamber for under $10

It has been a while since my last post and there have been some big changes. We moved to a bigger house, so I have an enclosed garage that I have laid claim to as a brew space. I was also able to get a small chest freezer, from my parents when they retired and moved out of state, that I have since converted to a keezer/fermentation chamber. All of the conversion work was done on the cheap by scravenging and cobbling things together. First I built the collar out of some 2x4s left by the previous owner.



Then I built a temperature control using a remote bulb thermostat from a busted windows unit A/C. I built the control into some electrical boxes that came out of the house when it was rewired prior to us moving.


Here is a picture of the setup inside with two fermenters in place.



At the time of the post, I currently have 5 gallons of AHS Cream Ale and 5 gallons of Ed Wort's Apfelwein fermenting and the freezer is keeping a stable 65F.

No comments:

Post a Comment